Date of Birth : 06 October 1960
Fields of Research interest
Development and applications of analytical, artificial intelligence (AI) and digital signal processing (DSP) methods for modeling, simulation and real-time control of large-scale power and energy systems; Digital protection; Demand side management; Smart Grid; Renewable energy; Impact studies on integrating utility scale renewable with grid; Energy efficiency and conservation; Superconducting magnetic energy storage; Flexible AC transmission systems (FACTS) using power electronics devices; Wireless power transmission; Planning regional power grid.
PhD (UMIST, UK)-1987; M.Sc.Eng. (BUET)-1984; B.Sc.Eng.(BUET)-1982
* UMIST-University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology
** BUET-Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Other positions held
· Director (Planning and Development) BUET from 3 June 2017- date;
Major responsibilities include advising the university authority on initiating new projects, guiding DPP (Development Project Proposal) preparation for new infrastructures and lab facilities, and administering local and foreign procurements of equipment for all the entities (Departments, Institutes and offices) of BUET using recurring budget, own fund, special and development funds from GoB, World Bank loan for HEQEP (Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project) etc. through e-GP (electronic Government Procurement portal) or traditional tendering.
· Director in the Board of Dhaka Electric Supply Co. Ltd. (DESCO): 5 October 2017- date.
Major responsibilities include taking part in policy formulation and decision making related to management, operation, procurement, contracting activities to cater to the supply of quality and reliable electricity to around 1 million consumers in the northern part of Dhaka city.
1)Director, Centre for Energy Studies, BUET from 1 July 2003 - 1 July 2005.
2)Head, Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, BUET from 1 June 2005 - 31 May 2006.
3)Dean, Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, BUET from 20 June 2007 -19 June 2010.
4) Government of Bangladesh (GoB) nominated Independent Director (as generation, transmission and distribution expert) in the Board of Dhaka Electric Supply Co. Ltd. (DESCO): July 1997-2000.
5) GoB nominated Independent Director (as generation, transmission and distribution expert) in the Board of Power Grid Company of Bangladesh (PGCB) Ltd.: Feb 2008- Dec 2010.
6) GoB nominated Independent Director (as generation, transmission and distribution expert) in the Board of Dhaka Power Distribution Company (DPDC) Ltd.: April 2008- Nov. 2009.
7) Chairman of Electrical and Electronics Divisional Committee (EEDC) of Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI), the Govt. organization for national standards; March 2007- December 2009.
8) Member in the Technical Advisory Group (TAG) for UNDP-GEF (Global Environmental Facility) funded and BSTI administered project BRESL (Barrier Removal to the cost effective development and implementation of Energy Standards and Labeling) for the period 2010-2014.
Major Scholarships and Awards
1. Commonwealth scholarship by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, U.K., for doing Ph.D. at UMIST, England; 1985-1987.
2. “2nd Annual Research Excellence Award; 1998” by the Southern California Chapter of American Association of Bangladeshi Engineers & Architects for the paper "Development of a Three - Part Time-of-Day Electrical Energy Tariff " that was adjudged as the best one in the 1998 contest on refereed publications received from Bangladeshi researchers.
3. “Laureate of the annual (2002) competition” by the Royal academy of Overseas Sciences, Belgium for the study “Photovoltaic Supplement to Diesel Generator Based Supply in an Off-grid Location of East Malaysia” that was adjudged as the best one among the studies received under the category of Technical Sciences from international researchers.
4. “BAS-M.O. Ghani Gold Medal 2003” by Bangladesh Academy of Sciences in recognition of contributions in the field of electrical and electronic engineering.
S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Mohammad Zunaidur Rashid, Kamruzzaman Khan and A.N.M. Wasekul Azad, “A Device for Multi-Criteria Load Management in a Power System”, Bangladesh Patent No.1005480, Filing date: 01 August 2012.
Over 65 publications.
(below is the list of only the refereed journal papers and book chapters published on or after the year 2000):
1)S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, S.Bashar, A.K.Chatterjee, M.A.Salam and H.B.Ahmad : "Use of superconducting magnetic energy storage device in a power system to permit delayed tripping", IEE (U.K.) Proceedings- GTD, Vol. 147, No.5, September 2000, pp.269- 273.
2) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Rezaul Haque, A.K.M.Rashidul Hasan , Md. Aminul Haque Siddiqui, Md. Abdus Salam and Hussein Bin Ahmad: "On the Concern about the Effects of Transmission Line Electromagnetic Fields on Man and his Dwellings", Journal of the Institution of Engineers Singapore, M&E section, Vol.40, No.6, 2000, pp.23-26.
3) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed and Md. Mizanur Rahman : "Use of base case Jacobians in power flow solution under topological changes", Computers & Electrical Engineering International Journal, (U.K.), Vol 28, No.1, January 2002, pp 17-23.
4) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Mahes Rajaratnam, Hussein Ahmad and Abu Bakar Sidik : “Potential Benefits of Using Distributed Parameter Model for Transmission Lines in Power System Analysis”, IEEE (USA) Power Engineering Review, Vol. 22, No.10, October 2002, pp.53-56.
5) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed Mohammad Tawrit, Mohd Wazir b. Mustafa, Hussein b.Ahmad, Mohd Ruddin b.Abd Ghani and Abdullah Asuhaimi b. Mohd Zin: "Novel adaptation of the critical clearing angle formula for faults on a three phase and a six phase line", Electric Power Systems Research, (U.K.), Vol. 61, No. 2, March 2002, pp.119-126.
6) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Narayan Chandra Sarker, Azhar b. Khairuddin, Mohd Ruddin b. Abd Ghani and Hussein Ahmad: "A Scheme for Controlled Islanding to Prevent Subsequent Blackout", IEEE (USA) Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.18, No.1, February 2003, pp.136-143.
7) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Tiow Wei Yeong, and Hussein Ahmad, "Wireless Power Transmission and its Annexure to the Grid System", IEE (U.K.) Proceedings- GTD, Vol.150, No.2, March 2003, pp.195-199.
8) Christopher W. Ajan, S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Hussein B.Ahmad, Faridah Taha and Abdullah Asuhaimi B. Mohd Zin : “On the policy of photovoltaic and diesel generation mix for an off-grid site: East Malaysian perspectives”, Solar Energy (U.K.), Vol. 74, No. 6, June 2003, pp.453-467.
9) Azhar B. Khairuddin, S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Wazir b. Mustafa, Abdullah Asuhaimi b. Mohd Zin, and Hussein Ahmad: “A Novel Method for ATC Computations in a Large-Scale Power System”, IEEE (USA) Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.19, No.2, May 2004, pp. 1150- 1158.
10) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Mahbubul Hasan, Md. E. H. Khondker, A.K.M. Moniruzzaman, and Azhar B. Khairuddin: ”Prospects of Using Time Series to Find the Maximum Power Point of a Photovoltaic Array from its Load Currents and Voltages”, Journal of Energy & Environment (Bangladesh), Vol. 3, May 2004, pp.81-90.
11) A.S. Ahmad, P.S. Ghosh, S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, S.A.K. Aljunid: "Assessment of ESDD on high-voltage insulators using artificial neural network", Electric Power Systems Research, (U.K.), Vol. 72, No. 2, December 2004, pp.131-136.
12) Md. Abdus Salam and S. Shahnawaz Ahmed: “A New Method for Screening the Contingencies before Dynamic Security Assessment of a Multimachine Power System”, European Transactions on Electrical Power, (U.K.), Vol. 16, No.4, July/August 2006, pp. 393 - 408 .
13) Z. Salam, J. Aziz and S. Shahnawaz Ahmed: “Digital Implementation of a New PWM Switching Scheme for Modular Structured Multilevel Voltage Source Inverter”, Journal of Energy & Environment, (Bangladesh), Vol. 5, May 2006, pp. 57 - 76.
14) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Md. Shah Majid, Hendri Novia, and Hasimah Abd Rahman: “Fuzzy Logic Based Energy Saving Technique for a Central Air Conditioning System”, Energy –the International Journal (U.K.), Vol. 32, No. 7, July 2007, pp.1222-1234.
15) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed and Azhar B. Khairuddin: "Fuzzy Logic in Evaluating the Impacts of MVAR Supports on ATC in a Deregulated Electricity Market" in Fuzzy Logic: Theory, Programming and Applications, Nova Science Publishers, 2009, New York, pp.355-377.
16) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed and Md. Mohsin: “Analytical Determination of the Control Parameters for a Large Photovoltaic Generator Embedded in a Grid System”, IEEE (USA) Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol.2, No.2, April 2011, pp.122-130.
17) Md. Q. Ahsan, A. Hasib Chowdhury, S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, I.H. Bhuyan, A. Haque and H. Rahman: “Technique to Develop Auto Load Shedding and Islanding Scheme to Prevent Power System Blackout”, IEEE (USA) Transactions on Power Systems, Vol.27, No.1, February 2012, pp.198-205.
18) S. Shahnawaz Ahmed : "Battery for Solar System" in Solar Home System, a book published by GIZ GmbH, (a German Govt. concern for collaboration in international development activities), 2013, Dhaka, pp.55-75.
19)S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Shah Muhammed Abid Hussain and Md. Sayeed Salam: “A Novel Substitute for the Meter Readers in a Resource Constrained Electricity Utility”, IEEE (USA) Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol.4, No.3, September 2013, pp.1615-1616.
20)S. Shahnawaz Ahmed, Asif Iqbal, Rashed Sarwar and Md. Sayeed Salam: “Modelling the energy consumption of a lift”,Energy and Buildings (U.K.),Vol.71, March 2014, pp.61-67.
USA, UK, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, China.
Major Contributions towards the Advancement of Engineering Education and Profession
a) International Level:
Reviewer for a number of international journals such as:
IET GTD (formerly IEE Proc.GTD),UK
IET Power Electronics, UK
IET Science, Measurement & Technology , UK
IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, USA
IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, USA
IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, USA
IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, USA
IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, USA
IEEE Power Engineering Letters
International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, UK
Energy- the International Journal, UK
Computers and Electrical Engineering International Journal, UK
International Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Canada
Building and Environment Journal, UK
Energy and Buildings Journal, UK
International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems
(Formerly European Transactions on Electrical Power), UK,
Elektrika- Journal of Electrical Engineering, Malaysia
Journal Teknologi -D: Electronics, Control, Telecommunications and IT, Universiti Teknologi Malysia
Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science; Turkey
Iranian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering , Iran
Reviewer for Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC2006), 10-13 December 2006, Melbourne, Australia; Students’ Conference on Research & Development (SCORED) for the Asia-Pacific region, 20-21 February 2001, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; 11th IEEE International Multitopic Conference (INMIC) at COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Lahore, Pakistan, December 28-30 December 2007.
Global Selection Panelist for the Discovery Scholarship program of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia, 2007, 2008. Participated in the meeting of the selection panel for applicants from the South and the South-East Asia held on 12 December 2007 in Thailand.
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Energy & Environment (ISSN:1563-1362) an international journal published by Centre for Energy Studies, BUET, Bangladesh, 2004,2005.
External Examiner for a PhD thesis submitted (July 2005) to Multimedia University, Malaysia.
Member, Technical Committee of the International Seminar and Tutorial ‘Power Transmission – Research Interests and Challenges’ , 20 – 22nd December 2005, Bangalore, India.
Chair, Technical Committee of the 3rd International Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering (ICECE2004), 28-30 December 2004, Dhaka, Bangladesh;
Chair (served from June 05 - May 06), Organizing Committee of the 4th International Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering (ICECE2006), 19-21 December 2006, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Member in the International Advisory Committee for the 2nd IEEE international Power & Energy Conference (PECon 2008), Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 1-3 December 2008.
Invited Speaker in the 3rd Seminar/Workshop organized by Saudi Electricity Company Chair for Demand Side Management and Energy Efficiency at King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on 25 April 2012.
b) National Level in Bangladesh:
Reviewer of the Journal of the Institution of Engineers (Electrical Engineering Division) Bangladesh.
Member of Electrical Switches, Plugs and Socket outlet adapters Subcommittee (ET-6) of Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution, (the Govt. organization for national standards),1992-1996;
Expert member in the selection boards of various public and private sector organizations of Bangladesh for employing graduate electrical engineers at junior, senior and managerial level, 1989-1998;
Member of the Sub-subcommittee for developing course curriculum of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Dept. of Bangladesh Military Institute of Science and Technology, Dhaka, 1997;
Chairman of Electric Fan and other appliances Subcommittee (ET-5) of Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution, 1997-1999;
Member in the expert committee formed by Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd. (PGCB) to facilitate effective transfer of technology for the National Load Despatch Centre Project financed by World Bank and Asian Development Bank, September1999 – March 2000;
Coordinator and a resource person in the National Training Workshop on Renewable Energy Education in Bangladesh, Dhaka, 3-8 August 2003, organized by Centre for Energy Studies of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology with financial assistance from UNESCO, New Delhi;
Member in the Expert Committee formed by the Power Division of Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources for standardization of the technical specifications of transformers purchased through bids invited by the public utilities and their subsidiaries such as BPDB, DESA, REB, PGCB and DESCO, October 2003;
Expert member in the 3-members committee formed by BUET at the directives of the office of the Prime Minister, Government of Bangladesh (GOB) for investigation into the causes for long shut-down of the 4th and 5th units (each 50 MW) at Kaptai Hydroelectric Power Station of Bangladesh Power Development Board, May-June 2005;
Member in an Inspection Committee formed by University Grants Commission of Bangladesh for assessing the adequacy of laboratory facilities, infrastructure and teaching strength of a private university, October 2006;
Member in the Tender Evaluation Committee formed by the Power Division of Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources of GOB for evaluation of the bids for supply, installation and commissioning inter utility programmable energy meters communicable from a central server under the World Bank financed project for Bangladesh Power Sector Reform, November-December 2006;
Member of the national committee (November - December 2007) formed by the Power Division of Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources of GOB for finding facts and making recommendations in relation to the blackouts in the Bangladesh grid system twice on 16 November 2007 following a devastating cyclone named SIDR;
Member of the national committee (December 2007- February 2008) formed by the Power Division of Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources of GOB for investigations into the cause of grid failure on 15 December 2007;
Member of the committee (May - September 2008) formed for witnessing the performance of the 5th unit (150 MW steam turbine-generator) after its rehabilitation with the finance of KfW (Germany) at Ashuganj Power Station Company Limited;
Member of the steering committee (April - October 2008) formed by the Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation Division (IMED) of the Ministry of Planning, GoB (Government of Bangladesh) on the evaluation of Greater Rajshahi Power Distribution system up gradation Project accomplished by Bangladesh Power Development Board with the finance of KfW and OPEC;
.Member in the Working Group (since 2010) formed by the Ministry of Science and Technology, GoB for the planned 2x1200 MW VVR Nuclear Power Plant under Russian Finance at Ruppur, Pabna Project.
c) Consultancy Services for Industry:
Served as a consultant/expert member for the following projects.
1) "Study on Effects of Flicker Voltage and Harmonics on Bangladesh Grid System at the Point of Common Coupling (PCC) Due to the Planned 18 MVA Electric Arc Furnace at Chittagong Steel Mills", 1990.
2) Advisory service on "Internal Electrification Works of the 2nd Annexe High Rise (30 storied) Building of Bangladesh Bank Head Office, Dhaka", 1992.
3) Conducting heat cycle test of the indigenous H and T type connectors for use in the distribution lines of Rural Electrification Board, Bangladesh, 1993–1996.
4) Evaluating the technical proposals submitted by various International Consortiums in response to the tender floated by Bangladesh Power Development Board for appointing consultant in its Haripur (near Dhaka) Power Station Extension Project through installing a 109 MW combined cycle power plant, 1997.
5) Evaluating the technical proposals submitted by various bidders in response to the tender floated by Jalalabad Gas Transmission & Distribution Systems Limited, Bangladesh for "Supply, installation, testing and commissioning of a 1000 kVA substation together with BBT system" for its 10 storied Head Office Building at Sylhet, 1998.
6) Conducting standard tests of a variety of electrical power apparatus and appliances such as cables, fans, bulbs, switches, circuit breakers, motors, transformers, large sized AVRs etc. sent to BUET by various private and public sector industries and organizations,1988-date.
7) Team Leader in BUET experts’ Team for review , correction and updating of the technical specifications in the Bid Documents prepared by M/S. Worley International Ltd., New Zealand for design, manufacture, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of a SCADA , an EMS and a Communication backbone system covering 101 sites by about 2250 km optical fibre cable under a new National Load Despatch Centre Project for the grid system to be owned by Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd. (PGCB), 1999.
8) “Study of the Trends and Status in the Research and Technology on Lightning Surge Propagation, Damages and Protection in relation to Telecommunication Buildings and Subscribers” completed at UTM for NTT SDN.BHD, Malaysia, July-December 2000.
9) Resource person in the short course “Recent Trends in Power System Operation” organised for the professionals in the academic/industrial sector by the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, UTM at Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 17-19 September 2001.
10) Assessing the power quality of utility supply to British American Tobacco Company factory in Dhaka; April- May 2003.
11) Evaluating the technical proposals submitted by various bidders in response to the tender floated by Dhaka Electric Supply Co (DESCO) Ltd. for procurement of distribution system hardware and accessories under Asian Development Bank loan, 2003.
12) Resource person in evaluating reports on cross-border power trading in South Asia prepared by “Nexant” under South Asia Regional Initiative in Energy (SARI/E) Program of USAID (June-July 2003).
13) Resource person and organizer in the Course 1.7: “Strengthening Regional Energy Linkages in South Asia” sponsored and organized by AED (Academy for Educational Development) in Dhaka (19-23 July 2003).
14) Resource person and organizer in the short term training “Reliability and Operational Aspects of a Regional Grid” sponsored by Winrock International and organized by BUET in Dhaka (15-17 July 2004) under SARI/E Program of USAID.
15) Resource person in “Long Electrical Course” for the officers of Bangladesh Navy, 2003 and 2004, Dhaka, sponsored by Directorate of Naval Training, Bangladesh Navy.
16) Preparing the complete bid documents (technical and financial) for supply, installation, testing and commissioning of 1MW and 2MW standby diesel generators for Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (DWASA);2004.
17) Organizer and/or Resource person in the short course “Applied Energy Saving Technologies for Industrial, Commercial and Residential Sectors”, Centre for Energy Studies, BUET, 2004, 2005 and 2006;
18) Assessment of the quality of under-construction 10 storied Headquarters Building for the Dept. of Forestry financed by Asian Development Bank (ADB) ;2006.
19) Resource person in a series of Training on Solar Lighting Systems for the technical personnel working with various organizations in rural areas of Bangladesh organized by the German Technical Assistance (GTZ), Phocos AG Germany and BUET, 2007.
20) Assessment of the effects on the control, operation and protection of an IPP (Pendekar Energy Ltd.) owned 450 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant (at Meghnaghat near Dhaka) due to proposed fibre optic cable (FOC) laying alongside the control and power cables in the same trench at the power plant premises and switchyard by Grameen Phone Ltd. to connect its optical backbone with the OPGW (Optical Ground Wires) of PGCB transmission lines, May 2007.
21) Conducting transient stability study to identify the exact causes of blackouts in the Bangladesh grid system on 16 November 2007 following a devastating cyclone named SIDR as requested by Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd. (PGCB).
22) Conducting electromagnetic transients and stability studies to identify the root cause of blackouts in the Bangladesh grid system on 15 December 2007 as requested by Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd. (PGCB).
23) Review and supervision (March 2008 - May 2009) on behalf of Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB) for its Japanese grant aided rehabilitation and commissioning work in the Ganges -Kabodakh Irrigation (GKI) Project that involved replacement of three large pumps each driven by a 3 MW synchronous motor by the new ones by the Japanese contractor EBARA.
24) Determination ( January - December 2009) of under frequency settings for the feeders for auto load shedding and the frequency ranges for the generators in Bangladesh Power System to avert blackout as requested by Power Grid Company of Bangladesh Ltd. (PGCB).
25) Evaluation of the impacts of large scale installation of Compact Fluorescent Lamps and Electronic Ballasts in the DPDC distribution system (December 2009).
26) Evaluation of the impacts of large scale installation of Compact Fluorescent Lamps in the REB and DESCO distribution system under World bank financed “Efficient Lighting Initiative for Bangladesh i.e. ELIB (Phase-I ) Project” ; June-July 2010.
27) Resource person in GTZ sponsored “International Short Course on Solar Photo Voltaic Systems”, BUET; 2-6 October 2010.
28) Team leader in the BUET expert teams for a series of impact studies on Bangladesh Grid System through load flow, contingency, stability, fault, harmonic and flicker analyses due to the following proposed arcing/nonlinear loads and their mitigations:
1)46 MW load (including 33 MW induction heating furnace) of H-Steel Re-rolling Mills Ltd. at Baraulia, Chittagong ; (August-November 2009).
2)40 MW load (including 36 MW electric arc furnace) of M/S. Abul Khair Steel Products (AKSP) Ltd. Chittagong; (April-June 2010).
3)18 MW load (including induction heating furnace) of Sitalpur Steel Mills Ltd. Chittagong; (November 2010-December 2010).
4)150 MW load (including electric arc furnace) of BSRM Steel Mills Ltd. Chittagong ; (January 2011-June 2011).
5)20 MW load (including DC drives and cold rolling equipment) of KYCR Coils Industries Ltd. Chittagong; (October 2013-November 2013).
6)16 MW load (including DC drives and resistive heating furnace) of BFL Ltd. Dhamrai, Dhaka; (September-October 2015)
7) additional 75 MW load (induction heating/electric arc furnaces, wire and re-rolling mills) of BSRM Steel Mills Ltd. Chittagong ; (June 2017-October 2017).
8)30 MW load (including DC drives and cold rolling equipment) of PHP group’s proposed industry near Feni; (July 2017-October 2017).
29) Team leader in the BUET expert team for design, installation, testing and commissioning of SCADA system in 67 Nos. of 33/11 kV substations in Rangpur, Rajshahi, Mymensingh and Sylhet distribution zones of Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB); April 2010 –December 2011. The project involved installing and interfacing RTUs for monitoring substation feeders and their breaker control, and polling of the RTUs from zonal servers using VPN network of Grameen Phone Ltd. (a cell phone operator).
30) Senior Consultant (Electrical Specialist) to Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation under the Ministry of Industries for assistance in design vetting, construction supervision, quality control and quality acceptance of materials in the project "Construction and Implementation of a Common Effluent Treatment Plant and associated systems" at Savar, Dhaka with a capacity to treat 20,000 cubic meter effluent /day from 150 tannery industries (in the process of relocation from Hazaribagh to Savar of Dhaka); March 2014-June 2016. The project involves installation of 7 substations and 7 stand by generators, laying cables for innumerable pump-motors and complete metering, instrumentation, protection and SCADA based control.
31) Member of BUET expert team for review of scope and technical specifications for a G to G (GoB-China) financed project titled “Expansion and Strengthening of Power System Network under DPDC Area” a proposal submitted by TBEA, China; June 2015-July 2015.
32) Member of the BUET expert team for Impact Study (load flow, contingency and dynamic stability with turbine modeling, UF and ROCOF relay simulations) for recommending reserve margins, AGC, islanding and Blackout prevention schemes in Bangladesh grid considering existing cross border power trade with India through a back-to-back HVDC link and the grid scenarios including conventional and photovoltaic generation up to the year 2017, (September 2015-continuing).
33) Member of BUET expert team for independent assessment of the price of electrical power, distribution, control and communication equipment negotiated for the Contract to be signed with TBEA, China under the G to G (GoB-China) financed project titled “Expansion and Strengthening of Power System Network under DPDC Area”; February 2016-March 2016.
34) Team leader in BUET consulting team engaged by the Power Division of Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources, GoB for auditing the technical, managerial and financial performance (in the FY 2014-15) of 5 entities belonging to different power distribution utilities in Bangladesh; April –June 2016.
35) Team leader in BUET consulting team for providing assistance to CEGIS, a Govt. concern, on feasibility studies for transmission network expansion in Chittagong and Barisal-Patuakhali areas; February-May 2017.
36) Team leader in BUET consulting team for providing assistance to RICARDO and TNEI, UK in preparing technical reports on transmission planning and load dispatching in Bangladesh power sector; April –July 2017.
Professional Societies' Memberships
Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), U.S.A.; Life Fellow, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB); Life Fellow, Bangladesh Computer Society; Member, Bangladesh Electronics Society.
Postgraduate Research :
Supervision of Masters’ theses
1)Md. Shahjahan : "Development of a State
Estimator for BPDB (
2) Mohammad Tawrit : "Study of Six Phase Power Transmission Network", M.Sc.Engg. Thesis, September 1992, BUET.
3)Md. Mizanur Rahman : "An Interactive Power Flow Analyzer", M.Sc.Engg. Thesis, November 1993, BUET.
4)Md. Abdus Salam : "Transient Stability Analysis of a Multimachine Power System by Identifying the Region Containing the Dominant Root of the Characteristic Equation", M.Sc.Engg. Thesis, February 1994, BUET.
5) Md. Abul Kalam : "Space Decoupled Load Flow Analysis", M. Engg. Thesis, April 1994, BUET.
6) A.K.M.Tofazzal Hossain: "Development of a Three-part Time-of-Day Electrical Energy Tariff for Industrial Consumers in Bangladesh", M.Engg. Thesis, June 1997, BUET.
7) Narayan Chandra Sarker: "A methodology for islanding a vulnerable power grid to prevent wide area outage", M.Sc.Engg. Thesis, August 1999, BUET.
8) Cristopher Wesley Ajan: “Photovoltaic supplement to diesel generator based supply in an off-grid location”, M.Eng.Thesis, June 2001, UTM.
9) Md. Abul Bashar: "A Comaprative Technical Study on Local Generation versus Power Import in Bangladesh Perspectives", M.Engg. Thesis, October 2005, BUET.
10) Md. Mohsin, “Operating Strategies of a Photovoltaic Generator Embedded High Voltage Power System”, M.Sc.Engg. Thesis, December 2008, BUET.
11) Syed Imranul Islam,“Development of an algorithm for switching distribution feeders to avoid frequent under frequency trips in a power system”, MSc Engg. Thesis, December 2010, BUET.
12) Md. Jahid Hasan, "Tracing the Contribution from Each generator to Loads and Transmission Loss in a Large Power system", MSc Engg. Thesis, October 2012, BUET.
Supervision of PhD Theses
1) Azhar b. Khairuddin: “Determination of available transfer capability for a deregulated power system using fuzzy logic”, PhD Thesis, April 2003, UTM.
2) Md. Farid Ahmmed, "Development of a Methodology for Voltage Sensitive Generation Scheduling", PhD Thesis, December 2015,BUET.
3) Md. Mohsin, “Control of a Utility scale Photovoltaic generator for Frequency response and Fault ride through Capability”; on-going PhD Research, BUET.
1) Hendri Novia, “Fuzzy Logic Based Energy Saving Technique for a Central Air Conditioning System”, M.Eng. Thesis, March 2003, UTM.
2) Muhammad Abu Bakar Sidik, “Design and Development of an Indigenous Mobile Artificial Contamination Chamber Prototype for Glass and Polymeric Insulators Performance Test”, M.Eng. Thesis, March 2003, UTM.
3) Abdul Hasib Chowdhury, “A Methodology for Planning Tie-Lines in an Interconnected Power System”, PhD Thesis, September 2008, BUET.
Doctoral Committee/Board of Examiners Member:
For 7 PhD theses and approximately 40 MSc Eng. theses.
Undergraduate Project Supervision at BUET, UTM, BRAC University
Supervised 90 projects.
at undergraduate level at BUET, UTM, and BRAC University:
Power System I, Power System II (includes HVDC transmission, FACTS), Power System Protection, Power System Operation and Control (includes unit commitment, economic dispatch, AGC, frequency control, electricity market operation), Energy Conversion I and II, Control System, Power System Reliability, Power Plant Engineering.
at graduate level at BUET, UTM, and BRAC University:
Advanced Power System control, Modern Power System Modeling (includes smart grid, renewable integration), Advanced Power System, Power System Stability.
Laboratory Development/Up gradation and Maintenance
· Set up the Control Systems Laboratory of EEE Dept. BUET and served as the Lab In-charge (1994-1999). The lab has been equipped to provide experimental facilities on, among others, Microprocessor based temperature control, Conveyor system controlled by Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), Digital control of DC servomotor's speed and position, Digital simulation using MATLAB package for verifying Control Systems theories, AC servo systems, and Process control simulation.
· Served as the Lab In-charge (August 2003- July 2007) of Switchgear and Protection Laboratory in EEE Dept., BUET. The lab is equipped with PC based digital relays having interfaces with air and vacuum circuit breakers.